Investigative Reporters and Editors is offering scholarships (travel, lodging, meal stipend) to its Campus Coverage Project Jan. 5-8 in Phoenix, Ariz.
The deadline is Friday, so don’t put it off. This is free training from a national organization in Arizona in the winter. You can’t beat that.
I love that many of the topics they will address are ones I covered in three posts earlier this month. What an opportunity to get some real training into how to really dig on your campus.
Some of the program’s content:
- Use the Internet as an investigative reporting tool.
- Read budget documents and find the stories that matter.
- Prepare for tough interviews and come away with the information you need.
- Analyze your school’s performance to see how it measures up.
- Examine athletic programs—and their funding.
- Use legal tools to pry open foundations, auxiliaries and other secretive campus institutions.
- Examine issues on your campus in the context of national debates on higher education.
Remember those last three from my posts?
- Athletics: Look beyond the games
- The Foundation
- Higher Education: Read the Chronicle of Higher Education and localize
Let IRE help you do it.